Monday, August 26, 2013

Taco Seasoning for FF

I decided to make my Taco Seasoning today for the Freezer Cooking Frenzy, just in case I didn't have all of the spices and needed to add something to my shopping list. But, guess what? I did!

So, now that task is done and out of the way.

I made enough for 5 lbs. of meat. When I looked at my recipe (cause I usually just wing it) I noticed that I've been doing it a little differently over the last year or so. Here is the amounts for 5 lbs. of meat. I could just buy 5 packets of taco seasoning for a couple of bucks, but since I tend to buy bulk spices, as you can see from the picture, I might as well save some money and make it myself.

Even if you are not making a large batch of taco meat for freezing, you can still make up a batch of the seasoning mix and then just add a couple of tablespoons to your meat each time you make tacos.

5 Tbsp. flour
5 tsp. chili powder
5 tsp. paprika
3 3/4 tsp. salt
3 3/4 tsp. minced onion (I now use onion powder instead)
2 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/4 tsp. sugar
5/8 tsp. ground oregano (I substituted Mexican oregano)
I also started adding garlic powder, so 5 tsp. garlic powder is good.

Of course, you can adjust the amounts to your taste. Some days I add more cayenne pepper when I'm feeling the need for a little more zing.

No comments:

Post a Comment